About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Losing Confidence When Going Out

It's easy to lose one's confidence suffering Parkinson's or any serious illness. When  first diagnosed I came across several people who'd been living with Parkinson's for some years and were already experienced with the many symptoms and problems that occur as the disease advances. One particular change puzzled me, which appeared to be a lack of self esteem and confidence. Many people with Parkinson's stop socializing and going out. The huge change is noticeable, when someone might originally have been very sociable and the life and soul of the party.
Speaking from experience, I can now understand how losing one's confidence and retreating from the world can happen. I have written before about losing one's voice, sounding hoarse, speaking quietly, along with a monotone and slow speech. This would without doubt make anyone cautious of speaking when amongst others, causing complications with socializing. It's not surprising that a Parkinson's patient who once might have been vivacious and talkative, suddenly will sit quietly like a wall flower.
One's physical appearance can make one lose confidence. The shuffling when walking, hunched shoulders, a stiffness and rigidity of movements, all make one self conscious and uncomfortable entering a room a room full of strangers. If people are unfamiliar with Parkinson's, they will not realise what is wrong, and sadly through lack of empathy or understanding, as if one is contagious, they will keep their distance. This is hurtful and enough to discourage any Parkinson's sufferer from venturing out.
Eating in company is another problem; the thought of dropping food, making a mess, and taking longer to eat than anyone else, unfortunately aid losing confidence.
I am in this very situation myself, and I do not have an answer for you. All I can do is tackle each day at a time and do the best I can.

2 comments:

  1. Though I do not have Parkinsons my husband does and what you have said certainly resonates with me . My usually charming husband has often become withdrawn around others. But I have found that a sense of humor goes a long way towards keeping our life happy and certainly saner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too became that way,but thank g-d got over it,ive decided to make it other peoples problem,i didnt ask 4 itmi didnt buy it,and i sure as hell did not steal it,i say 2 society;this is who i am,deal,,if i can ,belive u me,so can u,so y"all get over it now!!!

    ReplyDelete