About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

On Elaine's behalf

OK, today's a 1st, today's blog is not written by Elaine, but by me, her husband. Elaine has been conscientiously writing every day, for almost three years and nearly always I read everything she writes, I have never myself blogged, so here goes. "E" as I call her (amongst other things) didn't want any of you, her readers not to find a post this morning, and so this is the reason I am writing, she wasn't able to blog today, as she is spending the day in hospital, (mind you so am I) she is having some tests done. I hope they don't keep her in, and that she'll be sent home. if not I won't have anyone to talk to on the journey. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to write, but Elaine gave me an idea, so here goes!

For as many hours that Elaine has spent in hospital, I have spent a considerable amount of time too, not as a patient, but driving her there and back, waiting for each test with her, seeing the doctors and making sure she doesn't forget to tell them things, running to the cafeteria for coffee and sandwiches, sometimes I feel like a gofer who doesn't get paid, and instead I miss a day's work. I wouldn't let her go alone though, so this is how it is. We have it worked quite well, we get up early I drive, she sleeps on the way, we get to the hospital and sometimes I manage to check emails or make some calls for work, while she is undergoing some long test, then we drive home and she sleeps again if it's been a long day.

Quite often when at the hospital "E" will need to go from one department to the next but some piece of paper has been forgotten and needs to be with her before the next test, here I turn from driver/caregiver into the "gofer" most often I manage to get the missing paperwork before she has made it to the next waiting room, I tend to move quicker than her. She doesn't know how I do it. So here's my secrets to navigating the maze of hospital offices. Smile, joke and smile again, it normally works as they (the clerks) don't expect it. Who in their right mind is happy in a hospital trying to chase papers. NOT me and I'm not the patient. But I find a smile or two and my good sense of humour gets things done really fast.

So while I'm here still waiting for the missus think about next time you need to go a hospital, smiling makes it much more bearable.
Hope you all have a good weekend.
The Gofer.

No comments:

Post a Comment