About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Staying in Touch

Thanks to the fast pace of life today and the ever changing latest technology, the division between work and home are often blurred. Although it can be a great asset to have the ability to work from home, especially if disabled, and stay in touch with others through the Internet, the disadvantage is that you are never off-duty. How many times have you been with family or friends, and suddenly someone's phone beeps and the conversation, however important or amusing, comes to a grinding halt, as the person is compelled by some unseen force to answer the phone, or look at the message or e-mail that's just arrived. I find this extremely rude, and yet so many don't think twice and instead of giving their undivided attention to those sitting around, their mobile phone (which should stay in one's handbag) is placed on the table in full sight as if holding court over its loyal subjects.
Admittedly when hospitalised, having a mobile phone with you is a huge plus, enabling one to stay in touch with family and friends. If I need something brought from home, I am able to simply call my husband. After surgery, concerned family and friends are  able to be in touch. There are indeed many more pros than cons having a mobile phone, but knowing when to turn it off and put it out of sight, perhaps needs a little more thought. Technology is supposed to improve our lives, not govern them. Making boundaries, turning off your mobile phone when it's not necessary to be contactable 24/7 leads to better quality time spent with your family and less stressful.

Years ago I would get a phone call to remind me the day before my doctor's appointment. Now, I get a text message the day before. Most medical records are now kept on computers and gone are the days of receiving huge envelopes with X-rays inside. Today a computer disk holds all the information. We've come an awful long way, and I suspect we've still got far to go. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elaine - I'm enjoying reading your blog, so thanks for your dedication! I thought of you tonight when I saw this link - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131217123858.htm - about a link between Gaucher's disease and Parkinson's. Though you might find it interesting if you haven't already seen it.

    ReplyDelete